28.10.14

260 hours to cover 46 miles. Please will you sponsor me?

If you've read just a few pages on this blog, it can't have escaped your attention that I'm running a 46 mile ultra marathon on 15th November for a charity called Azafady.

Please would you consider sponsoring me? I have a charity donation page here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DavidBlamire-Brown

Azafady's mission is to alleviate poverty and conserve unique and biologically rich, but greatly endangered, forest environments in south east Madagascar by empowering some of the poorest people to establish sustainable livelihoods for themselves and improve their well-being. They work on a range of projects including building schools, improving maternal health, conservation and providing training to enable rural communities to develop sustainable enterprises.

Madagascar has an incredible environment and yet the Malagasy are amongst some of the poorest people on Earth. In 2008 seven in ten Malagasy lived on less than $2 per day. Now more than nine in ten do.

Any donations I receive will make a real and lasting difference to the lives of the Malagasy with whom Azafady works. Even a small amount of money can make an astonishing difference.

An example of the work that Azafady does is the building of schools:
  • £8 will provide one bag of cement to render the walls 
  • £17 will provide one blackboard and a year's supply of chalk 
  • £30 will provide a desk and bench for 4 students 
  • £63 will paint the interior walls of one classroom 
  • £132 will provide 10 aluminium roofing sheets to shelter the students 
I am hopeful that I can get enough support to get close to £2000 in sponsorship.

The event that I'm running in is the Brecon Beacons ultra marathon. It's a mere 46ish mile mixed trail/mountain/canal/road run around the magnificent Brecon Beacons.

46 miles is a heck of a long way! Since I signed up for the race in February this year, I've spent over 260 hours in training and logged over 1700 miles. Along the way, I've lost four toenails and climbed almost the equivalent in height as Mount Everest.

It's been a lot of time away from the family, so collecting sponsorship is also a form of "selfishness offsetting".

I would be hugely grateful if you would consider sponsoring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment